I know I’ve been pretty silent, and I need to do a full kickstarter update with much of this info, but I want to at least give you something until I’m able to sit down and do that. I wanted to mention that a major refactor of Write that I was working on in July (on it’s own branch, so you may not have seen the progress) was pushed to the development branch. It brings a LOT of memory / stabilization fixes, twine import fixes, and binary export fixes. I was able to put about two weeks of work into it, and got it closer to USB story maintenance and transfer for internal memory, but ran out of time. I had to move on to a consulting job for August and part of September, and final stuff for my October wedding. I will be able to work on it again a week from now, and my goal is to get story info / transfer working. That would mean Choosatron account and device setup would be working, basic story creation working (or pull from Twine), export binaries to use with an SD card, and over USB story transfer / ability to see what is on your Choosatron will be ready.
Here is a zip with a huge number of the Choosatron stories in binary form. Download, play, share them as you like. Obviously I’m planning to be more organized, and I’m putting them in a repository for tracking / etc, but at least you can play them now. There are more, but some need fixing first. The book will be done when it’s done, an editing is going through the stories one-by-one. The reason I didn’t release these along with initial setup, is that many of them are NOT suitable for kids. Authors wrote what they wanted, and after I started receiving them I encouraged more family friendly stories, but as it wasn’t a requirement from the beginning, many are in the PG-13 to R rating zone.
As far as the missing extras:
Complete redesign of all writing and Choosatron software: This is done for the firmware, and the writing platform represents the rest of it. Once maintaining stories on the Choosatron is ready, should be able to release 1.0 and this will be fulfilled.
A Custom game by 9th Level Games: Correct, this hasn’t been started. Until the writing platform is out, and all physical rewards supplied, I’m not going to attempt this. It may or may not happen, as enough time has passed (yes, I know this is my fault), that I can’t hold them to this promise.
TWO professionally designed Choosatron housings to be done by Tim Bachman: I was in touch with Tim about this quite a while ago, and unfortunately he had to back out, didn’t have the availability. I tried, but this was out of my control, and taught me another lesson in handling extras from outside parties.
Another free gamebook adventure from Tin Man games!: This was provided as was complete either during or just after the Kickstarter.
An official Choosatron T-Shirt design will be made!: This was complete, but admittedly forgotten in the shuffle. I hadn’t put it up on a t-shirt ordering site because I hadn’t heard any requests for it, it was low priority, and then just got forgotten. I’m happy to release the design or set it up for order if anyone wants.
The one comment I will make in my defense of percentage complete, I think the hardware Choosatrons, story content, and writing application count for much more than the rest of the items combined. Still plenty of work for me to do, but 50% isn’t correct.
Let me know if there are any questions. I’m trying to get back on top of things, and I’m sorry I’ve had to take steps away, but rent / family / etc… I can’t do much other than keep working toward the goals as I’m able, but I will continue to do so. Just know I’m plenty disappointed in myself for what I wasn’t able to accomplish within the budget and time allotted. Almost all of this is a money issue. As soon as a creator runs out of money, progress drops quickly because everyone needs to eat and pay rent. Suddenly time and attention is split, and there is no way to regain the original momentum. If anyone has a solution, I am all ears! Thanks, and I’ll keep trying.