Progress update on Write?

Jerry, are you able to give us an idea as to how Write is progressing?

In the interim, is there any benefit in starting to create stories in Twine that could be later imported into Write, or would this be a waste of time at this stage?

Not wanting to jump on @jerrytron’s toes, but you can read the updates to the Write software as they’re posted via GitHub.

And Twine import works quite well at the moment. It’s not perfect, but you can use it. You can also use the Write software to write a story. I’m currently at 172 passages on my next story all written using Write. It’s a little flaky and quite slow once you get over 50 passages, but it does work, and you can export to HTML and DAM files (which play on the Choosatron).

If you want stability with visual clues on how passages link, I’d stick with Twine. If you want to test the software without the potential for import issues down the track, try using Write.

Not jumping on my toes at all! I appreciate the help, especially with communication, as some personal life / etc eats up some time unexpectedly. :slight_smile:

If I’m reading the comments on Github correctly, it looks like it has been more than a month since any updates on Write. How is everything going Jerry? Do you have a timeline for Write? I thought that Write was a lot closer to being completed, but it seems now that there is still quite a way to go.

The frustrating issue is that it IS close, but I’ve had a few life events take my completely away from work. I am really sorry, and I’m getting back to things, but family has to come first. :confused: I’m past it all though, and gears are moving once again.

Thanks Jerry. I agree, family first!

Is Choosatron Write considered to be complete now? Will there be a way to send stories to the choosatron over wifi or will we always need to use the SD cards?

It’s far from complete. Sadly, there hasn’t been any updates since July 26th on the Write software. And that build didn’t actually work. I can only assume that Jerry has been busy elsewhere.

I’ve been checking the Github weekly to see if any updates are posted, and as soon as a new build is available that runs, I’ll compile it and post it here for people to use.

Per Jerry’s twitter account , Write appears to be low in priority as compared to other initiatives. I’m hopeful the functionality/features promised originally are achieved. The final 10% of a project are, without a doubt, the most difficult.

I still think the Choosatron is a great idea and would love to see the software finished!

10% ?
There’s a lot more than 10% left.

None of these stories have emerged:

Choosatron stories? You bet! Check out this list of authors:

Alden Bell, Alex Barrett, Andy Rocco Kraft, Andy Sturdevant, Anna Anthropy, Aric McKeown, Bill Corbett, Blake Hoena, Brandi Wells, Brian Oliu, Choose Your Own Adventure®, Eben Burgoon, Forest Lewis, Jack Bowman, James Mitchell, Katie Sisneros, Kevin Murphy, Lloyd Dalton, Maggie Ryan Sandford, Mark Stenberg, Matt Youngmark, Megan Dowd, Pat Harrigan, Patrick Nathan, Reinhardt Suarez, Rob Callahan, Robert Valentine, Russell Rathbun, Scott Mitchell, Seth Heiserman, Shannon Jones, Sharon Stiteler, Tim Uren, Tin Man Games, Tom Reed, V.S. Chin, WayForward Game Studio, Wendy Despain, Wes Burdine…and MORE!

Does anyone have the book ? 24 people backed for a physical book that seems unlikely to ever eventuate.

What about these:

STRETCH SUMMARY:

A COMPLETE redesign of all writing and Choosatron software! Cross-platform, web based, manage your Choosatron stories, easy to write them, and even easier to share!
A CUSTOM game developed to run on the Choosatron hardware, with 9th Level Games!
TWO professionally designed Choosatron housings to be done by Tim Bachman! Have them made yourself, or order your own!. These will look GOOD.
Another free gamebook adventure download from Tin Man Games for all reward levels!
An official Choosatron T-Shirt design will be made! Sneak a peak a the design in the details.

None of these are available, and yet here we are 21 months past the original due date…

10%, that’s bullshit. It’s more like 50% left to do.

To an extent echo your frustration, but more than anything I want to see the write app get finished. I bought the choosatron in hopes of having friends, students and myself be able to write and enjoy stories in a new way. I even wrote two stories in twine in anticipation of being able to play them. But now, in all honesty, I’m am extremely disappointed and sad that the app is still not done and there has been very little explanation from Jerry.

I’m still excited for the future of the choosatron, but I hope it gets here soon…

Write does work, just not very well.

You could easily copy the text from twine into the Write app and manually link up the passages. You can import Twine stories, but it’s somewhat flaky at the moment and may not import things properly.

I would be nice to see some extra stories and give my daughter and I something else to read. We’ve been through everything we have more than once.

I know I’d appreciate any effort you put into converting the stories so we could all read them.

Thanks for letting me know it Write does function. I will try to give it a shot next week.

I know I’ve been pretty silent, and I need to do a full kickstarter update with much of this info, but I want to at least give you something until I’m able to sit down and do that. I wanted to mention that a major refactor of Write that I was working on in July (on it’s own branch, so you may not have seen the progress) was pushed to the development branch. It brings a LOT of memory / stabilization fixes, twine import fixes, and binary export fixes. I was able to put about two weeks of work into it, and got it closer to USB story maintenance and transfer for internal memory, but ran out of time. I had to move on to a consulting job for August and part of September, and final stuff for my October wedding. I will be able to work on it again a week from now, and my goal is to get story info / transfer working. That would mean Choosatron account and device setup would be working, basic story creation working (or pull from Twine), export binaries to use with an SD card, and over USB story transfer / ability to see what is on your Choosatron will be ready.

Here is a zip with a huge number of the Choosatron stories in binary form. Download, play, share them as you like. Obviously I’m planning to be more organized, and I’m putting them in a repository for tracking / etc, but at least you can play them now. There are more, but some need fixing first. The book will be done when it’s done, an editing is going through the stories one-by-one. The reason I didn’t release these along with initial setup, is that many of them are NOT suitable for kids. Authors wrote what they wanted, and after I started receiving them I encouraged more family friendly stories, but as it wasn’t a requirement from the beginning, many are in the PG-13 to R rating zone.

As far as the missing extras:
Complete redesign of all writing and Choosatron software: This is done for the firmware, and the writing platform represents the rest of it. Once maintaining stories on the Choosatron is ready, should be able to release 1.0 and this will be fulfilled.

A Custom game by 9th Level Games: Correct, this hasn’t been started. Until the writing platform is out, and all physical rewards supplied, I’m not going to attempt this. It may or may not happen, as enough time has passed (yes, I know this is my fault), that I can’t hold them to this promise.

TWO professionally designed Choosatron housings to be done by Tim Bachman: I was in touch with Tim about this quite a while ago, and unfortunately he had to back out, didn’t have the availability. I tried, but this was out of my control, and taught me another lesson in handling extras from outside parties.

Another free gamebook adventure from Tin Man games!: This was provided as was complete either during or just after the Kickstarter.

An official Choosatron T-Shirt design will be made!: This was complete, but admittedly forgotten in the shuffle. I hadn’t put it up on a t-shirt ordering site because I hadn’t heard any requests for it, it was low priority, and then just got forgotten. I’m happy to release the design or set it up for order if anyone wants.

The one comment I will make in my defense of percentage complete, I think the hardware Choosatrons, story content, and writing application count for much more than the rest of the items combined. Still plenty of work for me to do, but 50% isn’t correct.

Let me know if there are any questions. I’m trying to get back on top of things, and I’m sorry I’ve had to take steps away, but rent / family / etc… I can’t do much other than keep working toward the goals as I’m able, but I will continue to do so. Just know I’m plenty disappointed in myself for what I wasn’t able to accomplish within the budget and time allotted. Almost all of this is a money issue. As soon as a creator runs out of money, progress drops quickly because everyone needs to eat and pay rent. Suddenly time and attention is split, and there is no way to regain the original momentum. If anyone has a solution, I am all ears! Thanks, and I’ll keep trying.

-Jerry

Arcade machines

Wow! THANK YOU for the stories and the update . . . and THANK YOU FOR THE STORIES!

THANK YOU FOR THE STORIES!

I see an unfortunate pattern in your sporadic updates Jerry. It’s very disappointing.

It’s not so much a pattern as the way things are. I’m not keeping any secrets about why that is either. I’m disappointed as well, but I’ll continue forward.

I see only harm to your awaiting audience in making you feel awful for not hitting your time-line. Sure, let’s stay accountable, but you are making progress and are slowly working your way down the list. Whatever keeps you on the project is good for us all.

If that’s a virtual a$$-chewing, let us know!

Otherwise, thanks for continuing to make it work.

Oh, and I’d buy a t-shirt! :wink: