Powering the Choosatron with Battery?

Is it realistic to power the Choosatron with a battery, or does it require too much power? I would love to use it without having the AC adapter wire running off of the table.

We’d be very interested in this too. We do outdoor events and it would be good to be able to take it to places without mains power.

Two things:

1/ It runs off 9v, so that’s relatively easy to produce, how long it lasts… that’s another story. There are battery pins on the PCB, so it wouldn’t be hard to solder a header or if you want to test it quickly, you could solder a 9v battery connector to the points and test it out.

2/ There is a reasonable amount room in the case to fit a few 18650 batteries. You would want 3 of them in series to produce the required voltage. However that’s going to produce a bit more than the required current and may well require a small transformer / voltage regulator to bring the voltage down to a nice 9v.

I do recall Jerry saying the device can be powered from a voltage range, but I don’t recall where that was posted (or I may well be mixing that up with some weird dream I had).

I do have the intention of trying to power mine from batteries at some stage in the future. Just when, I’m not so sure.

Hey folks.

For battery, here are links to batteries I’ve been using. They hold a lot of juice, and have been great for events over the last year+. There are a few modifications you’ll want to make, but none that are too tricky.

Each battery is about $26 at the moment (it fluctuates, was $19 when I got them), and the charger is $23 (male tip with clips).

Link to Battery and Link to the Charger

Modifications Needed:

1. You’ll most likely want to add a power switch so you can turn it off any on easily: Power Switch Tutorial
  2. The batteries are just wire, so it’s up to you what sort of connection you want to solder, male or female. Either way, you can add extension cables to match the connection you solder onto the battery input on the Choosatron PCB. Keep in mind, you need access to the tips of the battery connection in order to charge, so if you go female, you’ll need to plus in some male wires for charging. Female is probably best however.
  3. On the PCB, you’ll need to solder the two battery pins with your choice of connection. I usually use two right angle male pins.
  4. From there, charge up the batteries using the smart charger, and put it all together! Be VERY careful, especially if you decide on male pins for the battery itself, as you don’t want the pins to touch each other when storing, and you don’t want to accidently touch other parts of the board (I have fried a Spark Core that way, though it was be not being careful).

This deserves a better guide, but better to get some resources up now! Feel free to ask questions!