Dungeon Run V1.0

Here is the first completed version of Dungeon Run.
Download

To give you an idea of the size. There are over 200 passages. Some 15 endings and a few other surprises I’d rather people experience for themselves. You’ll need a fresh roll of paper, as you can wander around and around the dungeon quite a bit.

If you find a mistake, please let me know and I’ll fix it up.

I hope people enjoying reading / playing as much as I did writing it.

Edit: Here is a minor revision update. I found a spelling mistake and a passage with a blank link. Those should be fixed now.

Dungeon Run V1.0.1

Sounds great Rodney, I’ll look forward to trying it!

I’m so sorry to betray such ignorance . . .

. . . but how do I go about adding your story into my Choosatron?

I followed the set-up instructions and my Choosatron is working, but I am at a loss on how to go from here. Would love to put your story and some choosey stories I’ve got saved up on the Choosatron. I just need a little nudge in the right direction!

Any help would be appreciated!

The easiest way is using a microSD card. The smaller capacity the better. Copy the files to the root directory of the card, insert it into your Choosatron (yes, you’ll need to take it out of it’s case). And then hold down the 2 button when powering the Choosatron on. It should then start up as usual, but give you a list of stories that are stored on the microSD card, not the internal memory.

Let me know what you think of the story. There’s a heck of a lot of re-playability in the way it’s designed, and I hope you enjoy it.

HAWT. I’ll scrounge around my house looking for a microSD. Can I put the kids-9.bin on the card too, and have access to that?

I’ll let you know about your story! A lot of curious employees stop by my office for various entertainment, and I’d love to hook them with an engrossing story or two!

Thank you!

No. You need to flash that to the internal memory via this command:

dfu-util -d 1d50:607f -a 1 -s 0x80000 -v -D choosatron-flash-09-kids.bin

It’s the same way you would have flashed the spark core with the Choosatron firmware. It takes 3-5 minutes to flash the file and once done, as soon as you power on the Choosatron it will boot and look for stories on the internal memory. Holding down ‘2’ will force it to look for stories on the microSD card.

Okay! Got this working today!

I’ll play with it a bit over the next week at work. . . . Really looking forward to the experience!

Glad to hear you got it working.

The stories (built in) are really good, and I’d like to think mine is fun as well.

My Choosatron is installed right where someone sits in my office if they come to visit me. Your Dungeon Run story has single-handedly caused the enribboning of several pieces of office equipment and inspired an impromptu festooning or two in the time since I fired it up.

The feedback from the sorts of people I work with was quite interesting. People who took out paper and felt like drawing a visualization tended to like Dungeon Run. Other people seemed to baffled by Dungeon Run . . . I figured likely because they became used to the format of the other stories.

Thank you for the story! I’m going to update to 1.01!

Thanks for the feedback :smile:

I realise it’s not going to be for everyone, and I guess no story ever is. The passages are, for the most part, stand alone and don’t require each “pro” or “pre” ceeding passage in order to make sense. Sometimes they do follow on, but I tried to avoid that as much as possible given the partial non linear way of being able to progress.

People in their late 30’s up to 50’s are likely to find lots of it more enjoyable given the cultural references may elude those that are younger. I guess that shows my age :smile:

I wonder how many endings have been found by people ? There are quite a few of them (I’ve forgotten the exact number right now).

Hahaha. Yeah, it’s long. I think the shortest way to an ending is 11 choices, but I’d have to check my map.

You’re welcome. 1.01 only contains minor changes to fix a spelling mistake and the blank link as noted above. I guess for completeness, why not ?

I’m pleased you enjoyed it !